Office of Student Life

Disability Services

Summer 2021 Orientation

Navigation Links:

Welcome Video

SLDS Overview

Student Life Disability Services (SLDS) collaborates with the university community to create an accessible educational experience for students with disabilities.  “Disability” in this context is a broad term that includes mental health conditions, ADHD, chronic health issues, learning disabilities, temporary injuries and sensory/physical disabilities. We partner with students, faculty and staff to design accessible environments and to provide academic accommodations and support services.

Overview Resources:

Connecting with SLDS over the Summer 

SLDS is open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. During Summer 2021 we encourage phone calls and virtual appointments, but we also have staff on-site if you would like to visit our space. Students and their families are welcome to call our office during operating hours for a call-in consult. Many students find it helpful to call our office prior to their orientation dates in order to prepare for scheduling classes. During your call, you can discuss any questions or concerns you may have with an Access Specialist.

Getting Registered with SLDS

SLDS encourages incoming students to complete their registration over the summer so that they can start autumn term fully registered and beat the beginning-of-semester rush. The registration process involves three steps: (1) submitting an online application (click here) and uploading disability documentation, (2) receiving a "Schedule Your Welcome Meeting" email to your Buckeyemail account, and (3) completing your virtual Welcome Meeting with your assigned Access Specialist. 

Your Welcome Meeting does not have to occur during your assigned orientation dates, though we do encourage you to schedule your Welcome Meeting for sometime over the summer. That way, you can start autumn term fully registered with approved accommodations in place. Unlike our shorter call-in consults, Welcome Meetings must be scheduled in advance. 

Please visit our Registration Process page for more information.

Requesting Accommodations for Orientation 

Students and/or family members who need disability-related accommodations (e.g. alternative text format,  interpreting/transcribing, etc.) during orientation should contact Orientation or visit to fill out the Disability Request Form at least two weeks in advance. 

Orientation accommodations point-of-contact: Jenny Osborn ( / 614-292-3324). 

Requesting Placement Test Accommodations 

Incoming Ohio State students may take placement tests for English, foreign language and mathematics courses. SLDS wants to ensure that you have equal access to your placement test experience. In order to get setup with placement exam accommodations, please complete the following steps: 

  1. Begin by submitting a New Student Application.
  2. Once you have received a "Schedule Your Welcome Meeting" email (sent to your Buckeyemail account), please call the office (Phone: 614-292-3307; VP: 614-500-4445) to speak with the drop-in Access Specialist. They will process your request.

(Note: This year the Spanish, German, and French placement tests are computer adaptive exams and are not time-based, so extended time accommodations are not applicable.)

In order to receive any future accommodations at Ohio State, you will still need to complete the registration process (by scheduling and attending a Welcome Meeting with your assigned Access Specialist). We encourage you to schedule your Welcome Meeting virtually over the summer.

Academic Support Services Panel (Orientation Session)

At Ohio State, we offer a wide variety of academic support services, but we also understand that navigating a large university as a new student can be a challenge. Whether you are looking for tutoring or testing accommodations, help with research or writing, or tools to get organized and study smarter, there are resources for you! In this online panel session, representatives from 6 of the university's academic support offices will provide a brief overview of their services, with time at the end to answer questions from students and parents.

  • Center for the Study and Teaching of Writing
  • Dennis Learning Center
  • Mathematics and Statistics Learning Center
  • Residence Life Tutoring
  • Student Life Disability Services
  • University Libraries

Sessions will be held on CarmenZoom throughout the summer:

  • June 17, 1-2pm 
  • July 15, 1-2pm
  • August 19, 1-2pm

Click here to register for a session! You can attend any session, regardless of when your orientation is scheduled. After you register, you will receive an email with a link to join the session.

Meet Your Access Specialist (Videos)

Upon registration, you will be assigned an Access Specialist based on your academic program. Your Access Specialist serves as your primary point-of-contact for SLDS. To virtually meet your Access Specialist, look for your academic college listed below (or for Arts and Sciences, your academic department). Incoming students in the University Exploration program will work with Caitlyn McCandless.

Kelly Bonice

Kelly works with students in the following colleges:

  • Arts and Sciences (Humanities): Departments of African American and African Studies; Classics; Comparative Studies; East Asian Languages and Lit., English; French and Italian; Germanic Languages and Lit.; History; Linguistics; Near Eastern Languages and Lit.; Philosophy; Slavic and East European Languages and Lit.; Spanish and Portuguese; and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies
  • Business
  • Optometry
  • Social Work

Lindsey Brown

Lindsey works with students in the following colleges:

  • Arts and Sciences (Social and Behavioral Sciences)Departments of Anthropology, Communication, Economics, Geography and Neuroscience
  • Dentistry
  • Education and Human Ecology
  • Public Health

Adam Crawford 

Adam works with students in the following colleges:

  • Law
  • Nursing
  • Public Affairs

Kayli Futty

Kayli works with students in the following colleges:

  • Arts and Sciences (Natural and Mathematical Sciences): Departments of Astronomy, Chemistry and Biochemistry, (School of) Earth Sciences, EEOB, Mathematics, Microbiology, Molecular Genetics, Physics and Statistics
  • Medicine (including the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences)
  • Other (e.g. College Credit Plus, Non-Degree-Seeking)

Nicholas Huston

Nich works with students in the following colleges:

  • Arts and Sciences (Arts, Visual and Performing): Departments of Art; Art Admin, Education and Policy; Dance; Design; History of Art; (School of) Music; and Theatre
  • Engineering (including the School of Architecture)
  • Pharmacy

Caitlyn McCandless

Caity works with students in the University Exploration program.

Michelle Salomone

Michelle works with students in the following colleges:

  • Arts and Sciences (Social and Behavioral Sciences)Departments of Political Science, Psychology, Sociology and Speech and Hearing Science
  • Arts and Sciences (Other)
  • Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences
  • Veterinary Medicine

Meet Your College2Careers Counselor

Ohio College2Careers, a partnership between The Ohio State University and Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities, aims for students with disabilities to have the support they need to complete their degree and/or credential, earn higher wages, and meet the demands of tomorrow’s labor market. Some of the services available through Ohio College2Careers include:

  • Career exploration & counseling
  • Assistive technology
  • Resume and interview preparation
  • Internships & permanent employment
  • Assistance navigating OhioMeansJobs resources
  • Connection to an expansive employer partner network

Here at The Ohio State University, Kari Grafton is the Ohio College2Careers Counselor. She can be reached at Or, if an online self-referral process is desired, visit

Incoming Students FAQ

Q: I need accommodations for my placement tests. How does that work? 

See “Requesting Placement Test Accommodations”.

Q: Will SLDS help me to schedule my classes?  

As part of summer orientation, you will work with your academic advisor to schedule your autumn classes.  If you have any disability-related concerns about your class schedule, your Access Specialist can help you brainstorm options.

Q: When should I register with SLDS? 

SLDS encourages you to complete your registration this summer. That way, you can start autumn term fully registered with approved accommodations in place. 

Q: How do I register with SLDS? What kind of documentation do I need to register? 

You can begin the registration process by submitting an online application and uploading relevant documentation. Our office accepts a wide variety of documentation (see our Documentation Guidelines page for examples). Once your application and documentation are processed, you will schedule your virtual Welcome Meeting with an Access Specialist to complete your registration. See our Registration Process page for more information. 

Q: I had an IEP/504 plan in high school. Will my accommodations transfer? 

As part of the SLDS registration process, you can submit your IEP/504 plan as documentation of your disability. Some of your accommodations may stay the same, while other accommodations may not be applicable to a college setting. Your accommodations at Ohio State will be determined in collaboration with your Access Specialist during your Welcome Meeting.   

Q: Who will know that I am registered with SLDS?  

SLDS securely maintains all student records and will not share your medical information without your consent. Access Specialists will confirm registration status and approved accommodations with university personnel on a need-to-know basis. You are only required to share your registration status and approved accommodations with instructors if you are making an accommodation request in that instructor’s course. Your registration status will not appear on your transcripts. 

Q: How can I request on-campus housing/dining accommodations? 

If you ONLY need accommodations for on-campus housing or dining, then you are not required to register with Disability Services. Instead, you can work directly with those campus units to make your request. If you will be requesting additional accommodations beyond housing or dining, you should complete the SLDS registration process and work directly with your assigned Access Specialist for your requests. 

Housing Accommodations:

Dining Accommodations:

  • Visit the NetNutrition website to discover which locations offer food items that best suit your dietary needs.
  • Contact Assistant Director of Nutrition, Gina Forster (614-247-7641 / for more information.

Q: Once I am registered, how do I set up accommodations in my classes? 

At the beginning of each semester, you will login to AIM and generate custom “Course Accessibility Letters” for each of your classes, which are then emailed to you and your instructors. This letter notifies your instructor of your accommodation requests and provides them with instructions on next steps. You will then follow up with your instructor to discuss any logistics as needed.  

Depending on which accommodations you are requesting, you may have additional steps to complete (such as scheduling your accommodated exams in AIM). Your Access Specialist will review accommodation-specific instructions with you during your Welcome Meeting. 

If you encounter any bumps in working with your instructors, you should reach out to your Access Specialist for consultation. Your Access Specialist will be happy to collaborate with you and the instructor to find a solution. 

Q: Who do I contact if I need help with setting up my accommodations?  

Your Access Specialist serves as your primary point of contact at SLDS for questions or concerns about your accommodations.  Access Specialists are assigned based on your academic program. You can view your assigned Access Specialist in the “Meet Your Access Specialist” section of this page.   

Q: Does SLDS provide tutoring or academic coaching support?  

While SLDS does not provide tutoring or academic coaching, many units on campus offer academic support services.  The Dennis Learning Center facilitates individual academic coaching appointments to help students develop effective strategies related to studying, note taking, test taking, and more. The University offers free peer tutoring for select subjects. Other tutoring resources are summarized on the Younkin Success Center page

Q: How do I get connected with a primary care physician, therapist or pharmacy in Columbus? 

Many students find it beneficial to connect with local healthcare providers as part of their transition to college. Columbus has several healthcare systems which accept a variety of health insurance plans. Ohio State also offers several on-campus health services for students, including: