Beyond Compliance Toolkit
Welcome to the Beyond Compliance Toolkit.
This page provides resources and materials to advance one's knowledge about equity and inclusion for persons with disabilities.
Creating a Campus Culture of Inclusion
- "Higher Education’s Challenge: Disability Inclusion on Campus". Part of the series: Beyond the Margins: Meeting the Needs of Underserved Students.
- "A Welcoming Classroom"
- Pew Research Center: As schools shift to online learning amid pandemic, here’s what we know about disabled students in the U.S.
- Book: Mad at School: Rhetorics of Mental Disability and Academic Life. Citation: Price, M. (2011). Mad at school: Rhetorics of mental disability and academic life. University of Michigan Press.
Videos: Voices on Access
- Stella Young: Tedx Talk - "I'm not your inspiration, thank you very much"
- Judith Heumann: Tedx Talk - "Our fight for disability rights - and why we're not done yet"
- College Student Voices: DREAM: Disability Rights, Education, Activism, and Mentoring
- What is the Social Model of Disability?
- Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution (Netflix Documentary) Full Video ; Educator Discussion Guide
Best Practices and Resources for Faculty and Instructors
- Guides and Toolkits: Inclusive Curricula, Inclusive Design, Accommodation Guidance and more.
- Universal Design & Universal Design for Learning Resources
- Managing Accommodation Requests
Research Briefs & Journal Articles
- Brief: Self-Disclosure Decisions of University Students with Learning Disabilities
- Brief: Access and Participation in Higher Education: Perspectives of College Students with Disabilities
- Brief: Campus Climate and Students with Disabilities
- Journal Article: Faculty Attitudes and Students With Disabilities in Higher Education: A Literature Review.
- Journal Article: A Systematic Review of Barriers and Facilitators of Disability Disclosure and Accommodations for Youth in Post-Secondary Education
Disability Justice & Activism
- "We're 20 Percent of America, and We're Still Invisible" . Part of the New York Times' Column on Disability
- What is Disability Justice? Some Resources to Get You Started
- The Defense of Black Lives Must Include Disability Justice
- 6 Ways Your Social Justice Activism Might Be Ableist
Disclosing a Disability in the Workplace
The Job Accommodation Network released a training module on "Disclosing a Disability in the Workplace." This module and accompanying materials, including two videos, provide information and ideas to help individuals make educated decisions about disclosure.