Office of Student Life

Disability Services

Transitioning to College

There are several factors to consider as you make your transition to college. Here are some suggestions to guide you through the process:

  1. Early on, start taking the right classes to get into college. To review OSU’s admission requirements, visit Undergraduate Admissions.

  2. Take a college admissions test. You are encouraged to take these tests with accommodations. Work with your guidance counselor to make the arrangements.

  3. There will be nothing in your admissions application about disclosing your disability. However, you may write about your disability in your personal statement if you feel that it negatively affected your academic performance.

  4. It is in your best interest to contact in advance the disability services office at each institution you are considering to discuss possible accommodations. Disability Services processes differ across institutions. You want to have a good fit with both your institution and the services offered.

  5. At the college level, registration with disability services is the responsibility of the student. Once you have accepted admission to Ohio State, you may begin the registration process with Disability Services. Please review the Registration Process page for more information.

  6. Disability Services is not bound by your IEP/504 plan. The services you receive in college might be quite different from what you receive in high school. Your individualized accommodations at Disability Services will be based upon your self-report, supporting documentation, and history of accommodations.

  7. College students are expected to be their own self-advocates. Your assigned Disability Services Access Specialist can coach you on how to advocate for yourself and your accommodations.

© 2018 The Ohio State University - Disability Services
098 Baker Hall, 113 W. 12th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210
Phone: 614-292-3307 | Fax: 614-292-4190 | VRS: 614-500-4445 | General Questions: | Exam/Quiz Accommodations:
If you have trouble accessing this page and need to request an alternate format, contact