Office of Student Life

Disability Services

Note-Taking Assistance

Below is a list of frequently asked questions regarding note-taking assistance.

Q. How do I get my note-taker letters?

Send an email to your Access Specialist requesting note-taker letters.

Q: What should I do if I am having trouble finding a note-taker, or I am having difficulties with my assigned note-taker?

Contact your Access Specialist with your concerns. He or she will work with you to find a solution.

Q: How does the note-taker get paid?

You and the note-taker should fill out the note-taker form and submit the form to Disability Services. The note-taker may also need to fill out some tax paperwork to process their payment.

Q: How do I get a Smartpen? Can I try one out first?

Disability Services is able to offer demos/trainings for Livescribe Smartpens. Disability Services operates a Smartpen loan program for students. Students are also welcome to purchase a Smartpen on their own. Disability Services is able to provide the Smartpen paper and ink at no cost. Contact either your Access Specialist or the Assistive Technology Training Center Coordinator to schedule a training or inquire about the loan program.

Q: Do you recommend a particular audio recorder for recording lectures?

Yes. Our office recommends the Sony ICD PX-333 or Olymbus VN-722. Some aspects to consider when choosing an audio recorder are (1) size of the recorder, (2) number of tracks, (3) internal/external mic, and (4) memory.

© 2018 The Ohio State University - Disability Services
098 Baker Hall, 113 W. 12th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210
Phone: 614-292-3307 | Fax: 614-292-4190 | VRS: 614-500-4445 | General Questions: | Exam/Quiz Accommodations:
If you have trouble accessing this page and need to request an alternate format, contact