Office of Student Life

Disability Services

Accessible Media

Below is a list of frequently asked questions regarding accessible media.

Q: Will I be charged for having my materials converted into an accessible format?

No, you will not be charged. This is a free service; however, you do need to purchase or rent your own textbooks.

Q: How long will it be until I receive my materials? 

There are many factors that affect the timeliness of the production of Accessible Media materials. Some materials have a faster turnover rate than others but most importantly, communication with the Accessible Media staff about your needs will help to ensure that production is on track and that your priorities are being addressed.

Q: Can I use my own hardware / software to access these files?

Possibly. Many programs are compatible with Mac and PC. Consult with the ATTC staff for further advice and training related to your own technology.

Q: I have problems with my materials - I can't get it to open, play, view etc.

We suggest you start by calling the office and asking to speak with the ATTC Lab Tech on staff (614) 292-3307. You may also call or email the AMPC staff with a description of the problem.

Q: I can see my materials on Carmen but they are locked and I can’t open them. Why?

You haven’t turned in proof of ownership for your books. It’s possible that the Accessible Media staff finishes your requested material and uploads it before you’ve turned in your receipt or other proof of ownership. Once you have a proof of purchase, your materials will be unlocked for your use.

Q: Do I have to have all of my materials converted?

No. The Accessible Media staff will proceed with your materials based on the information you provide and the texts you request. Optional or recommended materials for a course can be processed by request as well.

Q: Do I have to return my converted texts at the end of the semester?

No, the files are yours to keep. Make sure to download them as soon as you receive them on Carmen, as files are removed from the system after the term ends.

Q: What will happen if I do not turn in proof of ownership for my requested materials for the semester?

No material will be released to you on Carmen. You may need to meet with your Access Specialist to discuss whether Accessible Media is needed for your future courses as it is not efficient for the AMPC to produce texts that are not utilized by students.

Q: How do I get my Carmen articles in Accessible Media?
Contact the Accessible Media staff as soon as you know which articles you need. If the instructor changes or adds more articles, it is your responsibility to communicate these changes to Accessible Media staff so that these can also be converted to your preferred format and re-delivered via Carmen.

© 2018 The Ohio State University - Disability Services
098 Baker Hall, 113 W. 12th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210
Phone: 614-292-3307 | Fax: 614-292-4190 | VRS: 614-500-4445 | General Questions: | Exam/Quiz Accommodations:
If you have trouble accessing this page and need to request an alternate format, contact