Beyond Compliance Toolkit
Welcome to the Beyond Compliance Toolkit.
This page provides resources and materials to advance one's knowledge about equity and inclusion for persons with disabilities.
We invite you to Save the Date for Ohio State's annual Multiple Perspectives On Access, Inclusion, & Disability Conference - April 19 & 20, 2021
Creating a Campus Culture of Inclusion
- "Higher Education’s Challenge: Disability Inclusion on Campus". Part of the series: Beyond the Margins: Meeting the Needs of Underserved Students.
- "A Welcoming Classroom"
- Pew Research Center: As schools shift to online learning amid pandemic, here’s what we know about disabled students in the U.S.
- Book: Mad at School: Rhetorics of Mental Disability and Academic Life. Citation: Price, M. (2011). Mad at school: Rhetorics of mental disability and academic life. University of Michigan Press.
Videos: Voices on Access
- Stella Young: Tedx Talk - "I'm not your inspiration, thank you very much"
- Judith Heumann: Tedx Talk - "Our fight for disability rights - and why we're not done yet"
- College Student Voices: DREAM: Disability Rights, Education, Activism, and Mentoring
- What is the Social Model of Disability?
- Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution (Netflix Documentary) Full Video ; Educator Discussion Guide
Best Practices and Resources for Faculty and Instructors
- Guides and Toolkits: Inclusive Curricula, Inclusive Design, Accommodation Guidance and more.
- Universal Design & Universal Design for Learning Resources
- Managing Accommodation Requests
Research Briefs & Journal Articles
- Brief: Self-Disclosure Decisions of University Students with Learning Disabilities
- Brief: Access and Participation in Higher Education: Perspectives of College Students with Disabilities
- Brief: Campus Climate and Students with Disabilities
- Journal Article: Faculty Attitudes and Students With Disabilities in Higher Education: A Literature Review.
- Journal Article: A Systematic Review of Barriers and Facilitators of Disability Disclosure and Accommodations for Youth in Post-Secondary Education
Disability Justice & Activism
- "We're 20 Percent of America, and We're Still Invisible" . Part of the New York Times' Column on Disability
- What is Disability Justice? Some Resources to Get You Started
- The Defense of Black Lives Must Include Disability Justice
- 6 Ways Your Social Justice Activism Might Be Ableist
Disclosing a Disability in the Workplace
The Job Accommodation Network released a training module on "Disclosing a Disability in the Workplace." This module and accompanying materials, including two videos, provide information and ideas to help individuals make educated decisions about disclosure.