Columbus campus students can register with Student Life Disability Services (SLDS) by following the steps below. (Regional campus students, click here for instructions on how to contact your regional office.)
NOTE: Students with a temporary injury (e.g. broken arm, concussion, surgery recovery) do not need to submit an application. Instead, please stop by the office during walk-in hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.). If your injury is not readily observable, please bring a doctor’s note or other relevant documentation with you.
Step 1: Submit a New Student Application and upload documentation.
The New Student Application helps SLDS better understand the impacts of your disability and your accommodation requests. The application includes a file upload feature to provide SLDS with your disability documentation.
- Important: Your application is not complete and cannot be processed until you have uploaded your disability documentation to your application (unless your disability is readily observable; see bullet point below). If you have any difficulties or questions related to submitting your application or uploading files, please contact SLDS.
- For guidance on the documentation required, review our Documentation Guidelines.
- Click here to download our Disability Verification Form (which is one way that a medical professional can provide you with disability documentation).
- Student veterans whose medical conditions are on file with the VA are encouraged to contact Angela Abel, OSU VetSuccess on Campus Counselor. Angela can help verify your conditions on file with the VA and provide documentation to you in an expedited manner.
- Students with readily observable disabilities (e.g. wheelchair user, white cane user) can contact SLDS after submitting your application in lieu of uploading documentation.
- For assistance with the New Student Application, please review our Instructions page or contact SLDS.
Step 2: If approved, you will receive a “Schedule Your Welcome Meeting with SLDS” email to your Buckeyemail account.
- To ensure that you do not miss important emails from SLDS, we encourage you to either (1) add the domain "post.accessiblelearning.com" to your safe sender list (click here for Outlook 365 instructions), or (2) regularly check your junk mail folder.
- Typically, these emails are sent within three business days of documentation receipt.
- If not approved, the email will provide instructions for how to provide sufficient documentation.
Step 3: Schedule and attend your Welcome Meeting.
- During a Welcome Meeting, you would meet with an Access Specialist to discuss your submitted application, barriers you experience in your academics, accommodations that would work best for you, and how to set up those accommodations.
- You are not officially registered with SLDS until after you have completed your Welcome Meeting.
If you have any questions about the registration process, please contact SLDS.