Quick Reference Guides
With the intention of empowering faculty and staff with the knowledge/tools they need to create accessible educational environments, SLDS developed this series of Quick Reference Guides. The series consists of a mixture of documents created in-house and documents curated from external sources (with citations).
We invite you to use these Quick Reference Guides for your own professional development or as a resource/training tool for your department (e.g. onboarding training).
Introduction to Academic Access
- Creating Access Together: An Introduction for Faculty/Staff (PDF)
- 5 Steps for Faciliating Accommodations in Your Course (PDF)
- Instructor FAQ (PDF)
- 10 Disability Etiquette Tips (PDF)
- Providing Accessible Course Content to Blind/Low Vision Students (PDF)
- Disability-Related Animals on Campus: Summary of University Policy (PDF)
- Attendance/Deadline Modification Examples (SLDS webpage)
Inclusive Teaching Practices
- Universal Design for Learning Guidelines (PDF) (source: NCUDL)
- Universal Design of Instruction - Checklist (PDF) (source: The DO-IT Center, UW)
- ODEE Resource Center: Accessibility (webpage)
Inclusive Student Services/Programming
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Student Services (PDF) (source: The DO-IT Center, UW)
- Negative learning outcomes of disability simulations (web article)
- Disability Programming Resources Compilation (Excel) (source: ahead.org)
We welcome your feedback on our Quick Reference Guide series! Please send your suggestions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: These guides are supplemental to student accommodation letters and other SLDS communications made on an individualized basis.